Serial Port Access

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Tue Sep 26 09:55:27 AEST 1989

oleg at gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:

>In article <1129 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>The "devices" command is documented somewhat poorly.

>An understatement, to be sure.

>>you will have to reboot after you change the
>>values, because changeing the values in devices does not seem to change
>>the real values until after a reboot sometimes.

>You may need to kill getty you have running on the port so the new getty
>picks up the new information (you can also kick init with "init -Q" to
>spawn getty on a newly configured port if devices did not do it already).
>--
I "init -q"-ed and killed left and right.  When I had set-up
"pro=dc" (thinking "DCD") I found that killing getty did not seem to
help.  The next getty was hung too (even though I had changed pro to
dtr).  The only way I found to clear the situation (other than rebooting)
was to raise CD (via a breakout box) and kill the existing getty, and let
the NEXT getty SUCCESSFULLY open the port.  My conclusion was that
"asy" was getting confused. (Of course, I was pretty confused too!)

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin