Serial Port Access

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Wed Sep 27 06:39:54 AEST 1989

In article <1134 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> [ Oleg and Kevins original exchange deleted..]

>I "init -q"-ed and killed left and right.  When I had set-up
>"pro=dc" (thinking "DCD") I found that killing getty did not seem to
>help.  The next getty was hung too (even though I had changed pro to
>dtr).  The only way I found to clear the situation (other than rebooting)
>was to raise CD (via a breakout box) and kill the existing getty, and let
>the NEXT getty SUCCESSFULLY open the port.  My conclusion was that
>"asy" was getting confused. (Of course, I was pretty confused too!)

Kevin, just to insert my two cents into things here...what does the node
that you are using look like? There is both a modem controlled and non-
modem controlled entry to the async device driver. There were also some changes
in the kernel between 1.x and what we work on now, so I am not sure, but
I believe there is a chance this could be causing the problem. If your
getty is running on the device with minor 0, make a device node with minor
128 ( or x+128 ) , or vice versa, and try running the getty on that.

Just a wild stab since I really do not do standalone support, but figured
it would be worth a try.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: IMHO only!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu