AIX on IBM370 machines

Samuel Lam skl at van-bc.UUCP
Sun Sep 24 07:41:00 AEST 1989

In article <6368 at turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM wrote:
>In article <321 at cscnj.csc.COM> paul at cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) writes:
>>I dont know how relevant this is to this discussion,
>>but Amdahl's UTS does support 3270's.
>
>The reason that UTS could support 3270's is that it runs native. AIX, on
>the other hand runs as a guest under VM.

A virtural machine (guest) under VM could have multiple 3270-style
terminals attached "directly".  You can get to these 3270's via the DIAL
command at the VM logo, or you can have the guest operating system
claim them directly when it is IPL'ed.

One system that can run both as a VM guest and support mutilple 3270's
at the same time is MTS (Michigan Terminal System).

I supposed the reason AIX isn't supporting mutliple 3270's is because
its implementor had choosen not to.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <skl at wimsey.bc.ca> or {uunet,ubc-cs}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl