AIX on IBM370 machines

Mike Taylor mat at uts.amdahl.com
Sun Sep 24 07:12:40 AEST 1989

In article <6368 at turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <321 at cscnj.csc.COM> paul at cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) writes:
> >
> >I dont know how relevant this is to this discussion,
> >but Amdahl's UTS does support 3270's.
>
> The reason that UTS could support 3270's is that it runs native. AIX, on
> the other hand runs as a guest under VM. As Oleg pointed out, this means
> that AIX370 is just another user logged onto the system and running an
> operating system. Since VM/CMS does not allow multiple logons of the same
> user id this precludes multiple 3270 access to the system. However, if
> the installation has VM TCP/IP installed, any regular user could simply
> telnet or rlogin to AIX over the network.

Actually, UTS supports multiple 3270s under VM also.  VM permits a 3270 user
to "dial" a virtual machine that offers multiple 3270 connections ( as UTS does).
It is not necessary to logon to VM to use the dial command.
--
Mike Taylor                               ...!{hplabs,amdcad,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]