AIX on IBM370 machines

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Sun Sep 24 03:00:12 AEST 1989

In article <321 at cscnj.csc.COM> paul at cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) writes:

>I dont know how relevant this is to this discussion,
>but Amdahl's UTS does support 3270's.

The reason that UTS could support 3270's is that it runs native. AIX, on
the other hand runs as a guest under VM. As Oleg pointed out, this means
that AIX370 is just another user logged onto the system and running an
operating system. Since VM/CMS does not allow multiple logons of the same
user id this precludes multiple 3270 access to the system. However, if
the installation has VM TCP/IP installed, any regular user could simply
telnet or rlogin to AIX over the network.

Disclaimer: this is not an official statement, my opinions only.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu