NFS over serial link

Karl Kleinpaste karl at godiva.cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 28 11:56:29 AEST 1989

kevin at msa3b.uucp writes:
   I'm presently attending an IBM class on TCP/IP.  Their workbook says
   AIX NFS is only supported over Token-Ring and Ethernet.
   The instructor says he knows of no reason why it should not work with
   a serial link.  Who is right?  Is there anyone out there who has USED
   AIX NFS over a serial line?  If it won't work, why not?

They're both right: It's not _supported_, but it does work.

I've been experimenting rather a lot with SLIP lately in preparation
for leaving my office behind for the month of October, and one of the
things I've tried along the way is NFS mounts over SLIP.  There's not
much to be said in favor of it - "comedy is not pretty" probably sums
it up reasonably well.  Worse, I'm doing it at slow speeds like
2400bps.

A simple copy of a small (5Kbyte) file from a local disc to a remote
NFS filesystem resulted in the astounding throughput of...77bytes/s.

It's doable, but you don't want to do it.  Use ftp if all you want is
file downloading.

--Karl