DOS applications on new RISC arch

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Sun Apr 8 08:01:10 AEST 1990

roy at ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:

>I know that this is probably impossible, but...

>Can you run a DOS application as a process under AIX on the new RISC
>machine?  I think that is the 6000.  Or how about on any other AIX
>platform?

On the 6000: they have a DOS simulator program (i.e. it emulates an 8086).

On the old RTs, you could buy and AT coprocessor.

On AIX PS/2 1.1, you can run DOS merge under AIX.  This works pretty well.
In fact, you can run DOS processes from AIX, and AIX processes from DOS.
"pc3270" even works.  IBM has been unable to get PC-LAN to work under
DOS merge on our system (we even had them send and S.E. on site).
Some people report that PC-LAN works on their configuration.  In general,
well-behaved DOS applications work fine.  Serial communications can
sometimes lock-up the machine and require a cold boot -- other times they
work fine.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."