changing the console; alloca missing from 9021?

The Diet Coke Guy swise at elric.austin.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 06:55:51 AEST 1990

In article <61875 at bu.edu.bu.edu> you write:
>How do you change the console to be an HFT, rather than a serial port? It's
>straight forward if you're reinstalling AIX from scratch (just make sure the
>serial port isn't plugged in when you run the install) but i don't want to
>go through that, just to change it.

Using SMIT, select the "System Environments & Processes" menu, then select,
"Assign the Console."  You can then change the console to be /dev/hft.
You can alternatively use the chcons command.

>Also, it looks like alloca isn't in libbsd.a or libc.a.  Was this just an
>oversight in this release?  If this is true, is there someone who can give
>me a copy (hello IBM?)

I couldn't find alloca in the libc/libbsd source either...hmmmm...
We do NOT have alloca in 3.1 AIX, but you can use it by putting the following
line in your C source:

#pragma alloca

This came from a file called bsdport in /usr/lpp/bos.  It has many helpfull
hints for porting BSD apps to AIX 3.1.  It also describes how to set up a
bsd compile stanza in /etc/xlc.cfg that work wonders on BSD apps!!

********
Steve Wise - IBM Advanced Workstation Division - Austin, Tx.
swise at elric.austin.ibm.com
AUSVMQ(SWISE)
uunet.UU.NET!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!elric.austin.ibm.com!swise