changing the console; alloca missing from 9021?

Kent Malave' kent at opus.austin.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 06:01:31 AEST 1990

In article <61875 at bu.edu.bu.edu>, jdh at bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:

> How do you change the console to be an HFT, rather than a serial port? It's
> straight forward if you're reinstalling AIX from scratch (just make sure the
> serial port isn't plugged in when you run the install) but i don't want to
> go through that, just to change it.

	To reassign the console, you can use the smit command. Simply type
			smit system

	and select "Assign the Console" menu item. Now just assign it to
	/dev/hft/0 and all will be changed on your next reboot.

> Also, it looks like alloca isn't in libbsd.a or libc.a.  Was this just an
> oversight in this release?  If this is true, is there someone who can give
> me a copy (hello IBM?)

	You may want to look in /usr/lpp/bos.  In this directory there are
	to very good articles on AIX and BSD differences in system administration
	(file bsdadm) and porting of code (file bsdport).  Also you may want
	to take the time to read the README file that resides in this directory
	as well.  Also bsdport and bsdadm are supplied in t/nroff format, see
	the README file.  I hope this helps.  I personally have found the bsdport
	document a lot of help.