rdist broken under aix-ps/2 1.2

Ben Fried ben at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 22 07:38:03 AEST 1990

Under 1.2, rdist seems to barf trying to send directories.

My distfile looks sort of like:

FILES = ( /usr/local/etc/netdate /usr/lib/ )
HOSTS = ( gussman5 )

${FILES} -> ${HOSTS}
	install -R;

I get messages like:

rdist: gussman5:/usr/lib//terminfo/3/rdistaaayIx: Symbolic link loop
rdist: gussman5:/usr/lib//terminfo/3/rdistaaayJL: Symbolic link loop
rdist: gussman5:/usr/lib//terminfo/i/rdistaaayIx: Symbolic link loop
rdist: gussman5:/usr/lib//help/rdistaaayIt: File exists
rdist: gussman5:/usr/lib//rdistaaayIt: File exists
updating /usr/local/etc/netdate

Only lots and lots of them.  I've tried IBM's rdist, and the 4.3 rdist,
with no success.  The interesting thing is that these problems only
materialize when directories are specified in the distfile; if I specify
individual files, things work just fine.

Anyone encouter this before?  A friend running 1.1 claims that rdist
works perfectly for him in similar situations.  I've got a group of
machines to maintain, and TCF isn't really an option for them, and rdist
not working makes life pretty hard.

Ben
--
Benjamin Fried