NFS problem

Philip John Nesser pjnesser at fenchurch.mit.edu
Thu Aug 16 21:59:54 AEST 1990

I ran into an interesting/frustrating problem yesterday.  I am in charge of
a number of machines that are always short of disk space.  I have a fairly
simple script written in perl that keeps track of disk usage and want to
run it on all of the machines I am responsible for.  I tried mounting the
user partition from a Stardent Titan P3 that we have.  The mount worked
fine.  When I tried doing a 'du' (ie du /opt/user)  it gets part way
through the du and then just loops infinitely.  When I do a find of the
directory (find /opt/user -print)  I get the following error:

find: 0652-019 The status on /opt/user/hfrad/e060/ is not valid.

I am still unsure if the problem is the fault of my RISC6000 or the
Stardent.  The RISC6000 can mount bigger filesystems from a Sun3 and get
through a du fine, but a mips machine can mount the Stardent filesystem and
sucessfully complete the du as well.  Anyone else have a similar problem.

---> Philip J. Nesser
Student Staff Software Engineer
MIT EECS Educational Computer Facility