Using info from AIX PS/2

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Fri Aug 17 00:25:36 AEST 1990

 kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

 > I am running X on my AIX PS/2 system, to access "info" on my RS/6000.
 > Something MUST be broken...the system is INCREDIBLY slow.  When I bring up
 > a "Compound Search" window, and enter search words, the system takes about
 > 4 seconds per character to echo my entry.
 >
 > The 6000 has 32 Meg of memory; the PS/2 has 8 meg; the machines are connected
 > via a 16Mbit token-ring with little other traffic. I am the only user on
 > both machines.
 >
 > What do I need to check in my configurations?  Should I blame the 6000,
 > the ring, or the PS/2 (or myself)?  Would an IBM X terminal run
 > an order of magnitude faster? (I'm not willing to pay for the terminal unless
 > this is going to run a h*ll of a lot faster.  In fact, if this doesn't run a
 > lot faster, I'm going to return X as "not acceptable.")

 First, check a few basic things.  Does 'info' work well on the RISC
 System/6000?  How does X on the PS/2 work when only doing local things?
 What about other RS/6000-based programs on the PS/2?  If everything runs
 at a decent pace *except* things over the network, I would suspect the
 network.  Get a sniffer and trace out the traffic.

 I have mucho RS/6000s, RTs, and PS/2s all pounding a 4MB ring.  'Info'
 on a PS/2 from an RS/6000 is not noticeably sluggish.  The graphics take
 a toll on the PS/2's memory, true, but I don't get anything near a 4
 second/key delay.  No, an Xstation shouldn't run a magnitude faster.
 Check that ring.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM