RS/6000, 150Mbyte tapes and cpio

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Wed Aug 1 13:34:40 AEST 1990

	Help
Is there a known problem with RS6000s running either Golden Code or
9013 when using cpio with a 150Mbyte cartridge tape. We are experiencing
semi-duplicatable problems with this combination on our machines.
	By semi I mean that we can get reads and writes to fail on the same
tape with the same data set but not always in the same place. We are
using cpio -idumvcB to read in the tapes and it seems to get out of sync
between cpio and the tape handler. If we use dd with bs=65536 it seems to
work more consistently for reading in from tape.
	On output we use "cpio -ocvB" and get a write error part way into the
tape (usually > 60000 blocks but not a repeatable number with the same tape).

Any help in this matter would be appreciated

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems