Xstation bootup problem - need help

Jim Morton [ext 237] jim at applix.com
Wed Aug 22 01:48:45 AEST 1990

Has anyone else had problems getting an Xstation 120 to boot from the
RS6000? Here's everything I did:
	1) installp'd the 2 Xstation Mgr diskettes, and did the
	   setup stuff in the manual.
	2) set the xstation for thick ethernet, and copied down
	   it's ethernet address
	3) made sure the rs6000 internet address (89.0.0.145) and
	   the xstations internet address (89.0.0.148) we in
	   /etc/hosts OK.
	4) ran xconfig and added the station with its ethernet
	   address.
	5) rebooted the rs6000 as per the manual.
	6) rebooted the xstation, to no avail. the BOOTP/TFTP
	   screen stays around forever, right now the BOOTP
	   line reads "BOOTP 0019 0613 0000 0018"
	7) rechecked that I had not screwed up transcribing the
	   xstation's ethernet address - I hadn't.
	8) Ran an Excelan LANanalyzer to capture the packets from
	   the xstation. I saw what seemed to be correct broadcast
	   packets from the xstation's ethernet address to broadcast
	   (FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF), and I see BOOTPC->BOOTPS requests
	   that look right.
	9) Check the "ps -ef" of the RS6000 to make sure the xstation
	   manager program was running. Ran an ifconfig on en0, with
	   the following results:
	   en0: flags=2000063<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,IFF_NOECHO>
                inet 89.0.0.145 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 89.255.255.255
	10) Played with ARP, to see if publishing an entry for the
	    xstation's internet address would help things out. It didn't.
            # arp -a
            xsta (89.0.0.148) at 10:0:5a:5c:2b:60 [ethernet] perm published
	11) Called IBM tech support. Very funny.
	12) Decided to post this...

My guess is the Xstation is set up OK, but the RS6000 AIX side isn't
listening/responding properly. I've tried SMIT, I've made sure tftp and
bootp lines are uncommented:
# grep boot /etc/ser* /etc/inetd.*
/etc/services:bootps            67/udp                          # bootp server
/etc/services:bootpc            68/udp                          # bootp client
/etc/inetd.conf:bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /etc/bootpd     bootpd
# grep tftp /etc/ser* /etc/inetd.c*
/etc/services:tftp              69/udp
/etc/inetd.conf:## The following line is the new style tftp daemon .
/etc/inetd.conf:## The following line needs to be uncommented and tftpd
/etc/inetd.conf:tftp  dgram  udp  wait nobody  /etc/tftpd   tftpd -n

I've configured a LOT of NCD, Visual, and HDS X Terminals, all of which
give you great debug info. This is by far the most painful and worst
designed. I'm out of ideas. Anyone got any?
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim at applix.com