Editing within mail under AIX 3.1 (RS6000)

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan.austin.ibm.com
Wed Aug 1 23:58:30 AEST 1990

In article <32328 at cup.portal.com>, compata at cup.portal.com (David H
Close) writes:
Dave> Two persons [gs26 at prism.gatech.edu (Glenn R. Stone) and
Dave> woan at peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan)] responded, asking if I
Dave> had properly set the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables.
Dave> Yes, I have set VISUAL=vi without any effect on the problem.  I
Dave> then set EDITOR=vi and ~e gets me into vi.  But nothing I have
Dave> tried makes ~v get me anywhere!

I just tried it on my system, and it seems that it does not try to
resolve vi's location based on PATH and only works when you give the
complete path for vi in your VISUAL declaration, i.e.

VISUAL=/usr/bin/vi;export VISUAL

At least, this works fine with me in 9021 (GOLD).

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan at soda.berkeley.edu +