Sendmail problems on RS/6000

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Tue Aug 14 01:28:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug12.031309.15691 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> proot at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
>I am evaluating an RS/6000 and am getting really sick of the bogus bounced
>mail messages I get whenever mail is received.

What is bogus about them?  sendmail bounces mail with the standard returned
mail message, including a transcript section indicating what went wrong
(which would have helped us resolve this problem if you had bothered to
post it).

>The machine is hooked to a network of Suns and is running yp as a client.
>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.

Unless you've hacked with the sendmail.cf file, this is unlikely.  When
uucp mail arrives, uucico hands it off to /bin/rmail, which hands it to
sendmail.  If the mail is destined for a local user, it had better *not*
have an '@' in it (unless the hostname is the local one); if it is destined
for another uucp node, then it had better have a '!' (or .UUCP) in it: in
this case, sendmail will hand it back to uux for further processing.

>I basically like the machine a lot. But the little things like this and
>the ypbind/inetd problem really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I think that if you would provide us with some real information about your
problem, you'd find that it's probably a simple configuration issue.

As for the ypbind/inetd bug, it was straight from BSD4.3 tahoe, and has
probably been in inetd since it was written.  Apparently other machines
are more lenient about letting you step around memory without causing
segmentation violations, which is why it hasn't yet been fixed in the
Berkeley code.  I should think you would be impressed that IBM developers
were able to fix this bug within 48 hours of its being reported, after it's
been hanging around in BSD code since the epoch :-)