AIX 370

Brian D. Horn brian at electra.la.locus.com
Fri Aug 24 14:44:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug22.132415.10862 at ioe.lon.ac.uk> law at ioe.lon.ac.uk (Lindsay Wakeman) writes:
>Can someone shed some light on the compatibility (or otherwise)
>between the various versions of AIX - in particular is it true
>that AIX 370 is 1.2 - the same 1.2 as AIX PS/2 1.2?
>
>I know there are big differences between these and AIX V3, but
>I wasn't aware that the others had converged yet.

The compatibility between AIX 370 1.2 and AIX PS/2 1.2 is very, very good.
Why? Because they are built from the same source tree.  Virtually every
program (including the kernel) comes from the exact same place.
Notable exceptions are the compiler (and related components) and some
very specific 386 or 370 tools (DOS merge on 386en only and VM/CMS interaction
tools for the 370).  Hope that clarifies things.  BTW, the same holds
true for AIX 1.2.1.