AIX 370

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Fri Aug 24 15:39:22 AEST 1990

law at ioe.lon.ac.uk (Lindsay Wakeman) writes:

>Can someone shed some light on the compatibility (or otherwise)
>between the various versions of AIX - in particular is it true
>that AIX 370 is 1.2 - the same 1.2 as AIX PS/2 1.2?

>I know there are big differences between these and AIX V3, but
>I wasn't aware that the others had converged yet.

AIX/370 and AIX PS/2 are both at V1.2.  With the exception of relatively
few files the kernels and applications for the 2 platforms are built
from the same source.  You should find few incompatibilities between
these systems (unless, of course, you start talking about things like
hardware support and interaction with VM).

The RISC 6000 runs V3.  The V1.2 and V3 architects have worked together
to try to maintain compatibility across the family.  Despite the numbering,
V3 is not a superset of V1.2.  Each platform has unique features.  The
systems have been converging, and despite the differences the various
platforms are more like each other than are most other pairs of machines
running flavors of the Unix OS.

Disclaimer: these opinions are my own, not necessarily those of Locus
or IBM.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard at locus.com