problem with AIX PS/2 1.2 (1005) cpio and symlinks

Steve Dyer dyer at arktouros.mit.edu
Fri Aug 24 02:54:35 AEST 1990

Cpio under the latest AIX PS/2 1.2 with CSU 1005 seems to have
problems with symlinks.  Specifically, with the -p (pass thru)
option to copy one tree to another, the filenames of symlinks
are being truncated early.  (I haven't checked this under the -o
and -i options.)  I would guess that there is some gratuitous
null-stuffing going on in IBM's version of cpio.

Peculiarly, grabbing the source to cpio from a non-AIX system
which had symlink support (not all versions of cpio do) and
compiling it under AIX PS/2 worked just fine.

I've reported this to IBM support, but AIX PS/2 users might
also be aware of it.

---
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka ...!{harvard,linus,ima,m2c,rayssd}!spdcc!dyer