CD-ROM support under AIX PS/2 under DOS Merge

Steve Dyer dyer at arktouros.mit.edu
Fri Aug 31 03:35:00 AEST 1990

One of our AIX PS/2 users, who is a heavy user of DOS Merge,
would like to attach a CD-ROM drive to his Model 70 and
access it under DOS Merge (using the Microsoft CD-ROM
extensions and applications which interface to same, etc.,
etc.)  There is no requirement at this time that the CD-ROM
file system be available under AIX PS/2--only DOS.

Nonetheless, I am somewhat wary of just assuming that we
could buy a microchannel card and CD-ROM drive and have
it "just work."

Has anyone anywhere (IBM, Locus, somewhere else) actually
tried such a combination successfully?  What hardware
did you purchase?  Is this possible to do with the IBM
SCSI controller and the IBM CD-ROM drive?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me,

---
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka ...!{harvard,linus,ima,m2c,rayssd}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu