More Problems with Curses

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 07:40:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug24.175432.26025 at eplrx7.uucp> mroz at eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) writes:
>The problem is that because of the way I'm
>connected in to the RS/6000, sometimes there is a delay in sending the three
>bytes for a cursor strike (ESC [ A, ESC [ B, etc.), so that I get back
>three characters instead of "one" (KEY_xxxx).
>
>Called IBM Software Support and was told that this was not a defect; we would
>have to get curses to understand the delay.
>
>Is there some stty setting or curses call that will alleviate this problem?

The curses library has dealt with this issue by allowing you to redefine the
maximum delay between the escape character and succeeding ones in an escape
sequence.  You can do this with the ESCDELAY environment variable, which
specifies the number of 200 microsecond intervals to wait after an escape
character is seen.  The default value is 100000 usecs, or an ESCDELAY value
of 500.  I've found that a value of 1000 does the trick with an rlogin over
one gateway.

This feature is avaliable in the July update.