can an rs/6000 do real time, My IBM rep says so?

Ronald S. Woan woan at peyote.cactus.org
Wed Aug 22 09:18:20 AEST 1990

In article <4263 at cica.cica.indiana.edu>, ssw at cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) writes:

> Our IBM rep is telling me that the RS/6000's AIX can do real time
> applications.  Specifically, he says setting a proceses priority to the
> highest value will guarantee that process responding to an interrupt
> within a fixed about of time.  This sounds totally off-the-wall to me.
> Can anyone elaborate on the real time capabilities of the rs/6000 , if
> any.

I think he was referring to the fact that the AIX 3.1 kernel routines/system
calls are preemptable... This would seem to guarantee reasonable interrupt
response times (though not fixed as some kernel functions have to be
protected, of course).

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan at soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +