AIX 3.1 C compiler needs a tty ?

Marc Pawliger marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Thu Aug 23 04:50:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug22.002727.13323 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick
Dunn) writes:
|> > Increasing paging space from 60 MB to 120 MB made that problem
disappear.
|> > Yes, that's 120 MB of paging space, to create a 7 MB binary image.
Why
|> > it takes so much, I'll never understand,...
|>
|> No, wait, please try to understand.  Inquiring minds want to
know--how on
|> earth can you eat that much swap space???  Either you've
misconstrued
|> something that's going on, but I don't think so, or there is some
dread-
|> ful problem (i.e., bug, not just performance).  60 Mb of swap space,
even
|> to create a large executable, is just *not* realistic.  (Disk may be
cheap,
|> but it ain't *that* cheap!:-)
|>
|> Could somebody who's down in the internals please explain to someone
|> sitting on the sidelines how you could possibly need > 60 Mb of
swap???
|> This is just unreal.  What causes this problem?

Ahem.  The '6000 compiler (read: linker) in the release code is not
very
shrewd with memory management, and it is entirely possibly to get a
70 Meg in-core image size when compiling a "small" source file with
optimization turned on.  This seems to be because some of the
techniques
used in the linker are inherited from VM compiler technology where
using
huge areas of (virtual) memory was much less of a performance hit than
it
is on the '6000.  I know that this has been an often-reported problem
with the linker, and it should be improved in future releases.

+---Marc Pawliger---IBM Advanced Workstations Division---Palo Alto,
CA---+
|    Internet: marc%ibmsupt at uunet.uu.net     VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6
|
|     UUCP:     uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc      Phone:   (415) 855-3493

+------IBMnet:   marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com------IBM T/L:
465-3493--------+

I don't speak for IBM, and they don't make me wear a suit.