AIX 3.1 C compiler needs a tty ?

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Wed Aug 22 10:27:27 AEST 1990

mlandau at bbn.com (Matthew Landau) writes, in response to a make-dying
problem:

> Just how large WAS this "large" make?  And how much swap space does your
> machine have?  We found that under AIX 3.1, if a job runs out of swap
> space (as our makes used to do), they're sent a signal 9 by the kernel.

That much I can believe OK...it's harsh but ya gotta do something and there
aren't a lot of options.  What I don't get is...

> Increasing paging space from 60 MB to 120 MB made that problem disappear.
> Yes, that's 120 MB of paging space, to create a 7 MB binary image.  Why
> it takes so much, I'll never understand,...

No, wait, please try to understand.  Inquiring minds want to know--how on
earth can you eat that much swap space???  Either you've misconstrued
something that's going on, but I don't think so, or there is some dread-
ful problem (i.e., bug, not just performance).  60 Mb of swap space, even
to create a large executable, is just *not* realistic.  (Disk may be cheap,
but it ain't *that* cheap!:-)

Could somebody who's down in the internals please explain to someone
sitting on the sidelines how you could possibly need > 60 Mb of swap???
This is just unreal.  What causes this problem?
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?