AIX 3.1 C compiler needs a tty ?

Matthew Landau mlandau at bbn.com
Wed Aug 22 01:55:14 AEST 1990

pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
[Recounts starting a "large make" before going home for the evening,
 and continues:]

>When I returned to the porting center, I found out that
>after actually logging off, all cc invocations exited
>with status code 9 (killed), without any error messages
>other than the ones "make" reported.

Just how large WAS this "large" make?  And how much swap space does your
machine have?  We found that under AIX 3.1, if a job runs out of swap
space (as our makes used to do), they're sent a signal 9 by the kernel.
No warning, no error messages, just "Killed by signal 9."

Increasing paging space from 60 MB to 120 MB made that problem disappear.
Yes, that's 120 MB of paging space, to create a 7 MB binary image.  Why
it takes so much, I'll never understand, but needless to say we won't be
trying it on a 320 with a 120 MB disk :-)
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau at bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder