Token ring to Ethernet?

Paul Lindner lindner at cs.umn.edu
Sat Dec 15 15:40:57 AEST 1990

In <121490.152426.heise1 at ibm.com> RAH at IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") writes:

> > How can an IBM token ring LAN connect to an Ethernet broadband for TCP/IP
> > communication?
> >
> Sure:  try an 8209 LAN Bridge.  This device looks like a PC/AT and can attach
> to both Token-Ring and Ethernet networks.  On the Ethernet side, the bridge
> is transparent.  On the TRN side, devices see it as a bridge to another

Or just slap an ethernet card and a token ring card in your RS/6000.  That's
what I've done here and it works for our needs, which are just telnet and
ftp from PCs using NCSA telnet.  I had to tell the network gurus that
my RS/6000 was a gateway between the two nets and I had to set up static
routes on the RS/6000 and on the PCs.  Not too hard once you figure it
out.  Warning do not run routed or gated if you can avoid it.  It caused
me no end of headaches.  Anyways static routes are faster and simpler!

--
Paul Lindner, Univ. of MN   \ Microcomputer /  Pauls Law: You can't
IT Sun dude, & UofM ACM pres \ Workstation / fall off the floor.