Miscellaneous questions - RS6000

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Dec 11 13:26:07 AEST 1990

In <125 at edi386.UUCP> eddjp at edi386.UUCP ( Dewey Paciaffi ) writes:

>In article <4585 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> ijlustig at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:
>-1) Occasionally, a user will log out from the machine, but who and
>-   finger show the user as still logged in.  finger will show the
>-   user as being idle for many many days (sometimes 300 days!).
>Yes,  I've seen this and no longer trust the output of 'w', 'who', and
>'last'. Something is screwy in AIX's perception of who's logged in and
>who isn't.

The '6000 is not the only place I've seen this behaviour; Sun 3/60's
running SunOS 3.5 and 4.0.3 will do this too.  I think it has something
to do with the way /etc/utmp is (not) written....  Rebooting the
machine invariably clears the problem, for what it's worth...

I've not seen last do what it does on the '6000 elsewhere, though.
That phenomenon is entirely unique....

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26 at prism.gatech.edu