Miscellaneous questions - RS6000

Applied Magnetics 3003jalp at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 11 09:12:47 AEST 1990

In article <4585 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> ijlustig at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:

>We've been using our 530 for a few months now.  I believe that we
>have Version 3.1 (release 3001??) of AIX.  Some oddities that we've
>noticed...
>1) Occasionally, a user will log out from the machine, but who and
>   finger show the user as still logged in.  finger will show the
>   user as being idle for many many days (sometimes 300 days!).  Then
>   at some later arbitrary time, the user disappears.  Has anyone else
>   seen this?

Yes.  I telnet to another workstation (RISC6K's only) and find myself
logged in several times, according to `who'.  However, `ps -fu <me>'
shows only the `ps' and the waiting shell.  As if /etc/utmp wasn't
getting updated at logout --but I'm guessing.

--Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics Corp.  I speak for me.