Postscript and troff question

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Dec 13 10:42:02 AEST 1990

In article <9521 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>I went to try to port transcript to the IBM Risc System 6000, AIX3.1,
>in order to have troff support to our PostScript laser printers.  It
>turns out that AIX's troff command behaves somewhat differently than
>the SUNOS (bsd?) troff -- it looks in /usr/lib/font for a dev* subdirectory
>where the subdirectory is defined by the -T.  Has anyone else attempted
>to port transcript and created the appropriate files for such a directory?
>
>Are there other (public domain) PostScript printing options in which a
>troff to PostScript command exists?

That is characteristic of ditroff - the troff distributed with AT&T's
documenters workbench. The troff distributed with Suns and most BSD
systems is and older version designed for a particular phototypesetter.
Its also known as otroff. Ditroff is commonly distributed with Sys V
based systems.

I have not ported TransScript to the 6000, but I have on other systems.
TranScript supports both ditroff and otroff. There are installation
variables you can set to tell it to install the ditroff fonts: in
particular look ad PSLIBDIR, DITDIR and DITROFFONTDIR. The transcript
filter that converts ditroff to convert ditroff output to PostScript
is "psdit". The "device" name for PostScript would be psc - as in
devpsc and troff -Tpsc ...

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services