3002 update breaks uucico

Jamie Watson jw at pan.UUCP
Sat Dec 29 18:23:47 AEST 1990

IBM's idiotic non-notification policy has burned us again.  We have just
discovered that the 3002 update to AIX/6000 3.1 causes uucico to fail to
handle "WRITE=..." specifications in the Permissions file.  Putting any
such specification in Permissions causes all attempts by a remote system
to send a file to be denied; with no WRITE specification, sending to the
default directory (uucppublic) is allowed.

Here is the best part.  We called IBM to report the problem.  The answer
we got, immediately, was "Oh, we know about that already."  Great.  Then
why did we just have to spend half a day tracking this down, lose a day
of processing on our customers' systems, and have to absorb a lot of
abuse from our customers, over a problem that was already well known to
IBM but they simply didn't bother to tell us about?

jw