How do you create BOS Boot and Install/Maint diskettes?

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Sat Dec 15 08:23:58 AEST 1990

 lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:

 > An AIX 3 'Install over a Network' requires a BOS Boot diskette and a BOS
 > Install/Maint diskette.  Neither is supplied with the system, nor is a
 > procedure for creating them in the documentation (that I could find.)
 >
 > According to my local SE, (currently out sick), the procedure is somewhere.
 > Does anyone have it?

 You can use the following instructions to create the *three* diskettes
 needed.  You will need to do this on a working system.
     1.  Log in as root.
     2.  Run the following commands to create a BOSBOOT diskette
         (A formatted diskette must be in the drive to run these
         commands):
           # bosboot -c -m -p /usr/bin/dskt.proto -d /dev/fd0 \
             -f /usr/bin/dskt.fs -b /usr/bin/dskt.image
           # dd if=/usr/bin/dskt.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
      3.  Run the following commands to  create  a  CONSOLE  diskette
          (A  formatted diskette must be in the drive):
           # /usr/lpp/bosinst/display/mkdispdskt /usr/bin/bosdis.image
           # dd if=/usr/bin/bosdis.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
      4.  Run  the  following commands to create a INSTALLATION/
          MAINTENANCE diskette
           # /usr/lpp/bosinst/diskette/mkinstdskt /usr/bin/bosinst.image
           # dd if=/usr/bin/bosinst.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM