How do you create BOS Boot and Install/Maint diskettes?

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Thu Dec 20 01:46:42 AEST 1990

In article <121490.152032.heise1 at ibm.com> RAH at IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") writes:
) lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
) > An AIX 3 'Install over a Network' requires a BOS Boot diskette and a BOS
) > Install/Maint diskette.  Neither is supplied with the system, nor is a
) > procedure for creating them in the documentation (that I could find.)
) > According to my local SE, (currently out sick), the procedure is somewhere.
) > Does anyone have it?
) You can use the following instructions to create the *three* diskettes
) needed.  You will need to do this on a working system.
)     1.  Log in as root.
)     2.  Run the following commands to create a BOSBOOT diskette
)         (A formatted diskette must be in the drive to run these
)         commands):
)           # bosboot -c -m -p /usr/bin/dskt.proto -d /dev/fd0 \
)             -f /usr/bin/dskt.fs -b /usr/bin/dskt.image
)           # dd if=/usr/bin/dskt.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

If you use the "-m" flag with the bosboot command, the "dd" is not necessary.

)      3.  Run the following commands to  create  a  CONSOLE  diskette
)          (A  formatted diskette must be in the drive):
)           # /usr/lpp/bosinst/display/mkdispdskt /usr/bin/bosdis.image
)           # dd if=/usr/bin/bosdis.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

Just typing: "/usr/lpp/bosinst/display/mkdispdskt"  will also write to the
diskette (avoiding the dd again).

)      4.  Run  the  following commands to create a INSTALLATION/
)          MAINTENANCE diskette
)           # /usr/lpp/bosinst/diskette/mkinstdskt /usr/bin/bosinst.image
)           # dd if=/usr/bin/bosinst.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

Avoid the "dd" with: "/usr/lpp/bosinst/diskette/mkinstdskt".

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |