Telnetd - release 3002 on RS/6000

Dr. Thomas Pierce RS0THP at ROHVM1.BITNET
Fri Dec 7 01:50:19 AEST 1990

I recently had the following problem on my RS/6000-530. After installing
patch release 3002, I was unable to telnet into my RS/6000 from
Wollongong TCP/IP on Vaxes, and from an Alliant FX/40. I talked
to my IBM support person, and he posted it internal to IBM. The
posting recieved a quick response. IBM has recognized this as a
'real' problem, and the workaround is (for today) to use the /etc/telnetd
from release 3001, or from the GA level of code.
I found that the telnetd from 3001 works bestfor me, and I am now
able to telnet into the RS/6000 from the Vaxes and Alliants.

This problem apparently results from terminal negotiation between
telnetd (3002) and Wollongong, Alliant (BSD 4.3), and HP/9000. It does
not occur between telnetd (3002) and RS/6000 earlier versions of telnetd,
ULTRIX, or SUNOS 4.1.

Sooo keep your old versions of /etc/telnetd.