MAXPROCS in AIX 3.1 - or other limit

Freddy Jensen jensen at adobe.com
Fri Dec 7 01:56:29 AEST 1990

In article <659 at chevpyr.chevron.com> meo at chevron.com  (Mike E. Osborne) writes:
>Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
>per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?
>We seem to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than
>root and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.
>(40 is a small number for X applications)
>((yes we have looked in info, tried various limits, SMIT, etc.))
>
>Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Folks,

   I have frequently run out of process slots on my RS/6000.  The reason is
   that I run X windows with *MANY* windows.  I called IBM, and got this answer:

   To look at the system configuration, become root and type:

    lsattr -E -l sys0

   You will see  that  maxuproc is 40 (max 40 processes per user).

   AIX allows you to change that  without rebuilding the kernel, or even rebooting.

   Just do:

    chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=80

   And  voila!  you can now run 80 processes per user.

   If you start running low on paging space,  send me email and I'll tell you
   how to increase it  (again without rebuilding or rebooting).

Freddy

-------------
Freddy Jensen
Display Postscript Group
Adobe Systems Incorporated
1585 Charleston Road, P.O. Box 7900
Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
Internet: jensen at adobe.com
          adobe!jensen at sun.com
          adobe!jensen at decwrl.dec.com
uucp:     ...!{decwrl,sun,uunet,apple}!adobe!jensen
phone:    (415) 962-3869 / 961-4400