RS/6000 -- why can't I move /usr somewhere else?

marc at arnor.uucp marc at arnor.uucp
Fri Dec 21 00:31:05 AEST 1990

I believe that /usr must be in the root volume group.  I think it
needs to get mounted during startup before the other volume groups are
brought up.

You have (or had) a number of choices.

1.  Add the wren to the root volume group.  If you had done this, and
could get away with ignoring which disk data was on, you would have
been done.  Just grow the various file systems and paging space as you
like.

2.  Install with the wren as the root volume group.  There is a menu
path during install for specifying the boot disk and the disk(s) in
the root volume group.  (I don't think its possible (and its certainly
not easy) to move volume groups around after install.)  You could then make
the 120 a second volume group, and put most of the paging space on it.

3.  Install with the wren as the boot disk, but both disks in the root
volume group.

4.  Add the wren to the root volume group, and then move /usr
completely on to it.  This, I think, takes some wizardry and doing
some of the steps in maintenance mode.  But I think its possible.

5.  Install on the wren, then add the 120 to the root volume group
later, and move paging space to it.

--

Marc Auslander       <marc at ibm.com>