Problems with RS6000 3002 update

Amy Johnson johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 19 09:18:13 AEST 1990

In general, I've had reasonably few problems working with the RS6000s.  But now
I've got a problem that really has me (and my SE) stumped...

I installed 3001 with no problems.  Today I tried installing the 3002 update
with many problems.   I typed "df" to make sure I had enough space...fine.
Then I began the update of bos.obj.  It fails with lack of /tmp space.
So I exit smit and type "df" and "Killed" is returned.  When I change the
ownership of df to root then df works fine, but it refuses to work when bin
owns df.  Ok, so I change the ownership of df to root (probably a computer
sin...).   The update goes fine.  But when I log in as a unprivileged user,
all my problems return.  I get "Killed" when I type env, ps, ls, smit, etc.
The only command that works is the df that I had changed the ownership to
root.

I thought, well maybe this is a fluke.  I'll try another update (I've got
7 RS6000s).  Same problem.....update dies because of /tmp space and df
refuses to work anymore.  By the way I have 12 MB of free space in /tmp.

Why is the BOS.obj update screwing up my systems???  Software Customer Service
won't talk to me, refering me to my SE who can't figure it out at all.

If anyone has any ideas...please let me know.

If it helps, root runs /bin/csh.  (this shouldn't be the problem...)

Thanks!
Amy <johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu>
Engineering Computer Operations
North Carolina State University