Need help with elm 2.3 pl9 for the Risc-6000 (AIX3.1)

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 22 06:25:12 AEST 1990

In article <9635 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc compiler
>under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the following message
>
>    elm -z
>    Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:  unknown return code -3
>
>Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System 6000?  If so,
>what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does anyone else have any
>insight?

ELM 2.2PL16 compiled straight away, with very few changes if any.  The
source of the error you mentioned is that someone put the termcap file
in /lib/termcap/termcap.src or something like that.  A "find /lib -name
*termcap* -print" will find it for you.

Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
hiding place.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."