pcsim install difficulties

Peter Blemel peter at cassandra.uucp
Tue Dec 4 09:11:07 AEST 1990

In article <10148 at bunny.GTE.COM> hhd0 at GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) writes:
>I've been trying to install pcsim on our Model 320 and I failed every time.
>The installation instructions say to use smit to install the two
>distribution diskettes (everything went well), then to run the following
>command with a DOS disk in the floppy drive (I have DOS 3.3).
>	pcsim -A 3 -C [filename]
>(where filename is the name of the file where DOS is to be loaded (i.e. the
>C drive)).
>This failed.
>I did a man page on pcsim and it showed that the -A and -C  options are not
>defined, and that I should use something like
>	pcsim -Adiskette 3 -Cdrive [filename]
>I tried both with no success, getting the following every time:
>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing.
>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing. -A
>
>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing.
>	Trying just pcsim without any options results in booting with BASIC.
>The /usr/lpp/pcsim directory seems OK:

I have this problem too, sort of. I have a 520 that IBM shipped to me to
do development on. I installed the PCSIM that they sent me (~4 months ago)
and it works. (It spew's tick marks uncontrollably when I enter the editor,
but that's not the point here).

I purchased a 530 that arrived about a week ago with the pre-install option.
After installing this version I get the same message that you do. So, I am
inclined to believe that this revision is broken. I will probably go grab
the lpp from the old version and install it, but I have finals to tend to
before I tinker any more.

The only difference between the two machines in terms of installed software
is a) the versions, and b) the 530 doesn't have info explorer installed. I
realize that this isn't much, but I hope that it helps.

Peter
-----
bbx!yenta!cassandra!peter at unmvax.cs.unm.edu