pcsim install difficulties

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Fri Dec 7 05:43:42 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec03.221107.10680 at cassandra.uucp> cassandra!peter at yenta.alb.nm.us (Peter Blemel) writes:
>In article <10148 at bunny.GTE.COM> hhd0 at GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) writes:
>>	pcsim -Adiskette 3 -Cdrive [filename]
>>I tried both with no success, getting the following every time:
>>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing.
>>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing. -A
>>
>>ERROR: NLS message catalog missing.
>>	Trying just pcsim without any options results in booting with BASIC.

[... more problems running the pcsim lpp described ...]

When the pcsim lpp was originally shipped, there was a missing link statement
in the installation process.  This link added soft-links from the
/usr/lpp/msg/En_US directory to the /usr/lpp/msg/C default language directory.
This has been corrected for the the latest installation diskettes of pcsim
(not sure when they'll become available).

The solution for now is setting your LANG environment variable to LANG=En_US
which will get you all the necessary pcsim messages and will allow you to
actually use the simulator.  The drawback is that you will now get multi-lined
error messages from normal system commands rather than the one's that Unix
folks are used to seeing.  The other solution would be to create the necessary
links fromt the /usr/lpp/msg/C directory to the /usr/lpp/msg/En_US directory
where the messages really reside.

jerry

Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's