Flaky behavior after installing 3002 upgrade

Chuck Henkel henkel%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 10 14:39:16 AEST 1990

I just installed the 3002 upgrade to a 320 system and I am seeing some
erratic behavior. I'm curious whether other people are having similar
problems or did I just screw something up.

Notes:

- Upgrade applied from tape.

- System was at level 3000, *not* 3001, when I applied the PKGID U401202
  Release 310 tape IBM sent me. IBM guy knew I was at 3000 when he
  sent me the tape, so this shouldn't be the problem.

- Due to space limitations I had to apply and commit the upgrade at
  the same time. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done that. (So keep
  that in mind when yours comes...)

Problems:

1) The main problem is that dbx causes the entire system to crash with
   the flashing "888" led display. The hidden message is 102 300 0c0,
   which is supposed to mean "Data storage interrupt - processor type"

   Invoking "dbx" alone at the shell prompt (csh) gives me the dbx
   prompt OK, but "dbx file" crashes the system immediately.

   I haven't investigated this further because I'm tired of having to
   reboot.

2) I was trying to use dbx to debug another problem which the upgrade
   seems to have introduced. A program which execs two other programs
   only manages to exec one of them and then hangs. I can't be more
   specific because of 1) above, but it worked yesterday.

_Chuck Henkel
--
| Chuck Henkel                      |                            |
| N.C. State University             | Curious about evolution?   |