Changing an AIX's name --- how to do it easily?

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Thu Jul 19 00:54:48 AEST 1990

 giguere at csg.UWaterloo.CA (Eric Giguere) writes:

 > We have three PS/2 machines running AIX (two at 1.1, the other at 1.2)
 > and because of a network reorganization we need to rename them.  I was
 > wondering if there was a relatively painless way of doing so without
 > re-installing AIX from scratch.  I don't think changing the name in
 > the non-volatile RAM cuts it!

 To change the name of your machines, use:
     chparm nodename=<newname>
 The command will:
     - ask you if you want to change your machine name,
     - ask you whether the PS/2 is a Model 55,
     - update several files with the new name, and
     - reboot the machine.
 If the command doesn't ask about your model number, you have an old
 version:  you may want to contact IBM defect support at (800) 237-5511
 to obtain the latest updates.  Of particular interest, 'chparm' updates
 the machine name in NVRAM and in the /etc/system 'sysparms:' stanza.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM