Changing an AIX's name --- how to do it easily?

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Thu Jul 19 00:58:49 AEST 1990

 giguere at csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:

 > However:  under 1.2 chparm doesn't seem to work.  Or at least it doesn't
 > on my machine.  I get the errors:
 >
 >                            fixnmvtoc: no changes made
 >                            /usr/sys/bin/fixhmvtoc /csgaix1 /csgtk20 failed
 >
 > when I type "chparm nodename=csgtk20".  Now from comments on the net I know
 > that the chparm command works under 1.1 and indeed we tried it on an AIX
 > machine running 1.1 here not too long ago.  No one on the net had tried it
 > with 1.2, however.
 >
 > So is this a bug in 1.2?

 Some early releases of chparm in 1.2 had problems with no NVRAM in Model 55
 PS/2s.  The latest version of chparm asks whether you are using a Model 55.
 If your version does not, you may want to contact IBM defect support at
 (800) 237-5511 to get the latest updates.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM