Software copyprotection, hardware key, hostid

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Tue Jul 17 05:09:14 AEST 1990

 mike at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Mike Elliot) writes:

 > This brings me to the next part of the project, copyprotection. Does
 > the 6000 have an internal hardware id like the suns, or can I get
 > an external one like the HP's? How do I talk to them? If the above two
 > don't exist, what do others out there do for copyprotection.
 Yes, each RISC System/6000 has a machine-unique identifier.  You can get to
 it using 'uname -m'.  This command returns 12 digits:
     00CCCCCCMMXX
     where,
       0 -- always 0
       C -- unique CPU serial number