System/6000 questions.

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sat Jul 14 11:27:52 AEST 1990

jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) writes:
> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
> >	And how do you define lean? It takes approximately 80 Mbyte of Disk
> >space to install the bare minimum of load 9013. I don't consider that lean.

> If you had bothered to read the rest of my qualifying phrase, you would have
> seen that I contend that it is fairly lean, *considering* all the junk that
> has been added to support National Language Support, security, journalled
> file system, etc...

But wait...that means *I* can be considered lean, *considering* all the
beer I drink, my love of chocolate, rich sauces, meat, sweets, etc.!  I'm
really quite lean considering what I eat and drink; never mind that I'm 30
lb heavier than I should be.

Look, 80 Mb is *not* a lean system.  Leanness is a virtue to some people,
but other folks would rather have a feature-rich system and don't care
whether it's lean.  Fine.  For the ones who really want a lean system, your
conditional definition of leanness isn't helpful, and doesn't prove
anything.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com  -or-  ico!rcd          (303)449-2870
   ...Reality is neat!  It works even if you don't believe in it!