System/6000 questions.

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Sat Jul 14 02:27:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul12.191604.648 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>->> [ discussing AIXV3 socket code ]  As for the
>->> rest, it seems well-structured and reasonably lean, considering that IBM has
>						  ^^^^^
>	And how do you define lean? It takes approximately 80 Mbyte of Disk
>space to install the bare minimum of load 9013. I don't consider that lean.

If you had bothered to read the rest of my qualifying phrase, you would have
seen that I contend that it is fairly lean, *considering* all the junk that
has been added to support National Language Support, security, journalled
file system, etc.  Some of these are functional enhancements that are IBM-
specific, many more are those required by POSIX/ANSI/..., and others are
IBM trying to get a step ahead of other vendors by putting in features that
will probably be de rigueur in the near future.  I would further contend
that other vendors' kernels will be following this growth trend as they seek
to implement all this stuff that the consumers supposedly want.

I'm not trying to say IBM doesn't like selling disks; it's just I've come to
the above conclusion after perusing the source for the last year or so.