SCSI interface and disks for RISC System/6000 computers

Gary L. Crum crum at alicudi.usc.edu
Wed Jul 18 08:41:16 AEST 1990

I haven't come across detailed information about the possibility of
connecting third-party SCSI disk drives to IBM RISC System/6000 computers.
Can anyone point me to information about this or tell me of experiences?
I looked in InfoExplorer on an AIX 3.1(9021) system, but found only
the "How to Configure a Hard Disk onto the System" section, and it doesn't
explictly say that SCSI disks from other than IBM are supported.

Is there anything like disktab(5) of 4.3BSD UNIX in AIX 3.1?

What SCSI controllers and devices is the RISC System/6000 SCSI
interface compatible/incompatible with?

Just wondering what other readers of this group have to say.  I
have asked an IBM representative about this a bit, but it is not a
priority for me.  I do like filesystem features of AIX 3.1 -- the logical
volume group system eliminates disk partitioning guesswork and restrictions
quite nicely.

Gary