TCP/IP Over SNA

drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com
Mon Jul 23 13:38:34 AEST 1990

In article <2318 at althea.UUCP> eddjp at althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:

>This seems to conflict with what I've heard elsewhere. I've been told that
>the RS/6000 doesn't support SNA, but that SNA does support TCP/IP, with
>the proper Hardware/Software/Mainframe configuration. If this actually
>is the case, then the RS/6000 TCP/IP should be just as easily transported
>across the SNA as the TCP/IP from a SUN or a Xenix/386, for that matter.
>
>Am I missing something here?

No, you're 100% correct.  The original posting was in error.
SUNs can use SNA networks, and you CAN (but do not have to) send IP over
SNA networks.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861