TCP/IP Over SNA

John Timlick jt at morpho.UUCP
Tue Jul 24 06:04:53 AEST 1990

In article <2812 at awdprime.UUCP> linas at linas.austin.ibm.com writes:

>Let me try to answer this one...
>If you have a SNA network, there is no way in the world that
>you can hook up a Sun to it.  If you did, every airline reservation
>system in New Jersey would probably burp.
>
>If you have Ethernet, well, just hook the /6000 to it. It'll work.
>Use sockets.  They'll work.  IBM TCP/IP is NOT implemented on top
>of SNA.  If you have to use SNA, call your IBM Mainframe service rep.
>The /6000 supports SNA, but you'll probably have to buy special
>hardware to hook up to your s/370 or 3090.
>
>        ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
>Yow !!! The opinions represented herein are my own and not my employer's.

I missed the original article(s) that seem to have prompted this
reply but IBM does make a product that will run TCP/IP over SNA.
I know because we have it.  The product is called "IPSNA".  We
got it from IBM and have even had some support from Austin.
It requires multiprotocol adapters and a fair amount of configuration
but does work.

So, if the original question was can RT's talk TCP-IP over SNA the
answer is yes.  Contact your IBM rep about this product. I don't know
if RS6000's are supported.  If that was not the original question then
sorry for sticking my nose in your business.

Regards,   John T.

--
John C. Timlick  (206) 593-8015
North American Morpho Systems, INC.