problems with pwd in csh, bsh, but not ksh

Chris Walsh mack23 at sam.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 19 04:50:02 AEST 1990

We have just gotten the GA release of AIX 3.1 installed on a POWERStation
530 and have the following weird problem, which has not been heard of
by IBM software support.  Maybe someone out there has some hints.

I am waiting to be contacted by IBM on this, but they don't have a monopoly
on knowledge, so here goes...

When logged in as Joe User, with initial program of /bin/csh, the pwd
command returns "pwd: permission denied" when run anywhere on our users
partition (i.e. /u).  When run elsewhere, it works fine.  Permissions and
paths are OK, and the flaw persists when /bin/pwd is called explicitly, plus
the problem exists even in the absence of a user's .cshrc.  When root attempts
the same thing, it works fine.  When Joe User spawns a Korn shell, or if his
initial program is /bin/ksh everything works fine!

The same weirdness pertains if the shell involved is /bin/bsh!

If anyone has had (and, hopefully, cured!) this problem, please e-mail me.
Anyone with suggestions re: a solution can do the same.  Thanks.

I will post the fix that works.

Chris Walsh
University of Chicago
Social Sciences and Public Policy
Computation Center

Disclaimer: Since this is my first posting, I have no fancy .sig and
therefore would be mightily embarrassed to inadvertently be considered as
speaking for anyone but myself.