System/6000 questions.

Peter Blemel cs3551aq at carina.unm.edu
Thu Jul 5 06:55:45 AEST 1990

Well, that was a big article, so I'll paraphrase what I need to rather
than mess with it.

The UnixWorld reviewer was quoted as saying that the POWERStations come with
keyboard and mouse.

I have a 320 ordered, when our initial order included a display and graphics
adapter, I was charged extra for the mouse and keyboard because the system
"Does not come with them in the base configuration.". We decided to purchase
a third party X terminal instead, so we purchased a 3151 terminal for the
console rather than the display/adapter/mouse/keyboard configuration. In our
current order, the basic configuration without keyboard and mouse makes sense.

If anyone's interested, I opted not to buy IBMs 8mb/monochrome/110mb/ethernet
$13k bundeled system. I took the base system, bought the 110mb to 360mb upgrade,
upgraded to 16mb memory, and bought AIX, and the >3 user AIX upgrade (I hate
this n user pricing scheme). I purchased X, FORTRAN, GRAPhigs, a 150mb tape
drive, no graphics adapter or display, and a 3151 terminal. My company is a
software vendor so we get 50% off. After discount this configuration is
right around $13.5k.

Peter Blemel
Management Sciences, Inc.
505 255-8611